We have a Plan ... We Need to Get Started! America at Night Yucca Mt.
Energy & Environment (& Employment) Policy: All of the Above, “Pickens Plan Plus” Approach. Clean energy is the goal. Affordable energy yields the robust economy needed to finish the research and build the connective grid we're going to need to make clean energy a reality.
* Solar, Wind, Hydro-E, Biomass, Hydrogen: Use where competitive; fund research, and start building the nation's connective smart grid.
* Natural Gas: It’s safe, clean, and abundant; and there’s plenty right here in the U.S. of A.!!
* Nuclear: Build 10 new, modern-technology reactors; store waste in Yucca Mountain, Nevada. “Experts generally agree that, based on current technology, the only safe and secure permanent solution for nuclear waste is disposal in a geologic repository.” Nuclear Waste: Disposal Challenges and Lessons Learned from Yucca Mountain. (GAO, June 11)
* Oil: Drill in 1/9800th of ANWR and build the Canada--Texas, Keystone XL pipeline, because a pipeline is much more environmentally friendly than trucking the oil to its refineries. Taken together, these two projects would create hundreds of thousands of new jobs. We also need more refining capacity.
* Coal: Outfit all plants with pollution controlling scrubbers and mercury filters, then expand.
* Conservation: Retrofit government buildings with energy-saving modifications, and promote "Transit Tuesdays" across the nation with mass transit discounts and patriotic calls for Americans to leave their cars alone on Tuesdays ... for their country's sake! Also, create more efficient transportation infrastructure: more low-speed rail, train tunnels that accommodate double-stacked cars, natural gas refueling networks, deeper commercial seaports, and more roundabouts & overpasses.